We have been honoured with two Royal visits in the past. The first was in 1952 after the Duke of Edinburgh agreed to sponsor a cup for the Flying Fifteens. The Duke of Edinburgh Cup is awarded for the winner of the three-race series. The Duke presented his Cup to the 1952 winners, Geoff Smale and Clive Power. In the inaugural regatta, Atua-Hau won, and continued winning for 6 years in all.
In 1957 RAYC was invited by RYA to send three 14fts to England for a series of team races, as well as the Prince of Wales Cup, during Cowes Week of July 1958. Calypso, a new Des Townson design, sailed by Ian Pryde and Ray Simich and Atua-Hau, sailed by RAYC’s Geoff Smale and Ralph Roberts, won the trials.
The second Royal visit was in 1995 when the Duke of Edinburgh presented his Cup to the year’s winners, Roger Craddock and Steve Cunnold. He was then re-introduced to the same two Club members given the Cup in 1952, Geoff Smale and Clive Power. It was, of course, our Centennial Year and when the Duke proposed a toast to RAYC he gave a short and friendly speech complimenting us on our first 100 years of sailing and wishing us well for the next 100 years.
The above photo features the 1995 Cutting of the Centennial cake. The Duke of Edinburgh, Maritime Commander Commodore John Leonard, RAYC Commodore Fendall Halliburton and his wife Lynne.
If you have any interesting facts about the Club, members and yachts, please contact the Archivist, Marian Harkness on (09) 524-4968 or firstname.lastname@example.org.