Join Ghost Fishing New Zealand and the Sea life Trust for a two day beach clean up of Okahu Bay!
SCUBA divers, free divers and shore crew all needed! Be prepared to get wet and dirty!
Saturday 31 August for and Sunday 1 September 2019. One (or more) dive(s) each day.
Saturday 31 August – 9:30am Start, at the Auckland Sailing Club – 10 Tamaki Drive, Orakei (next to Fergs Kayaks) – Training session. This will include a presentation about Ghostfishing New Zealand along with an outline of the gear and techniques used by our SCUBA and free divers in the clean-up process. Saturday Afternoon will be in water exercises and training so be sure to bring your gear to get wet.
Interested non-divers are welcome to attend also – the more the merrier!
Sunday – Clean-up day: 9.00am registrations open, Briefing at 10.00am, divers in the water at 10:30am, 2.00pm ish clean-up and pack down.
LOCATION for clean up: South West end of Okahu Bay, Auckland. (near the boat ramp) – look for the GFNZ signs near the boat ramp end of the bay.
Scuba Divers who wish to participate must have a minimum of 50 logged and be comfortable working in low / zero visibility.
Scuba and Free Divers must provide their own gear and tanks. If you also have your own catch bag(s) or float boat for collecting rubbish, please bring this along and ensure they are named.
If you would like to join in the fun and participate as part of the shore crew, you will need to make sure you are wearing fully covered shoes and bring a pair of gardening gloves……. also be prepared to get down and dirty!
Shore Crew are needed to:
1) Supporting the divers, monitoring positions, and ensuring the safety of the other shore crew members;
2) Picking up rubbish from the shore and surrounding area;
3) Collecting rubbish from the divers and delivering this to the decritter station;
5) Recording rubbish collected;
6) Clean up and pack down;
7) Other tasks as needed.
ALL PARTICIPANTS, SHORE CREW AND DIVERS, MUST REGISTER ON ARRIVAL.
• This is a free family friendly event, but children must be supervised at all times by an adult.
• Closed toe footwear must be worn for safety.
• Please bring your own hand protection (gardening gloves or similar).
• Don’t forget your own water bottle and bring sunscreen if it’s a warm day.
• Dress for the weather (warm clothes and jackets) – we go ahead rain or shine.
• There will also be plenty of work for non-divers to get involved.
The fantastic team from Kelly Tarltons will also be on site to show you the weird and wonderful creatures we find, and to help with the decritter process!
We look forward to seeing you there!