Akarana Academy Terms and Conditions
I/We hereby grant permission for my child or myself to take part in the selected Akarana Sailing Academy course/program. I/We understand the risks of sailing.
Imagery / Footage
By participating in the event, a student, member or user automatically grants Royal Akarana Yacht Club and the sponsors, the right in perpetuity, to make, use and show, from time to time and at their discretion, any motion pictures, still pictures and live, taped or film television and other reproductions of him/her during the period of the competition for said event in which the competitor participated and in shall in all material related to the said event without compensation.
- The health and safety of our participants is of the utmost importance, and all reasonable precautions are taken to ensure their safety. The very nature of our sailing and on-water programmes, means we are operating in an environment which carries associated risk of injury to any person engaging in marine sports activities.
- All sailors must be able to safely and confidently swim 50 meters unaided, even though they will be wearing lifejackets at all times when in the water.
- We must be notified in advance if your child has any special needs or any medical conditions that we need to be aware of in regard to their safe participation in our courses.
- All children must wear shoes while sailing at Akarana (RAYC). These can be sailing boots, beach shoes, old sneakers or shoes with closed toes. Jandals are not appropriate footwear for sailing at our club. This is to prevent slipping on the ramp while launching and retrieving and to eliminate oyster cuts on feet.
- Summer Hours: weekday sessions start at 4pm each day, please ensure your sailor is here at 4pm ready to sail. The less time spent on the land will mean more time on the water learning and having fun. Pick up time is 7pm each day. Occasionally if the weather is particularly bad and we conduct an off the water session we may offer you the opportunity to collect your child earlier. Adult learn to sail sessions commence at 5.30 on weeknights.
- Weekend Sessions: are from 9am to 12 and afternoon sessions run from 1pm to 4pm. Please make sure you or your child is here on time so they can enjoy maximum time or let us know if you are not coming so that we do not hold the group on shore while we are waiting for you to arrive.
- We do not cancel or postpone our programmes due to weather conditions. If the weather is unsuitable, we will conduct land based sessions. We have many important theory-based sessions that are part of each course along with other fun learning activities for wet and windy days. We do not offer make up days or transfers due to weather conditions.
- Once we have received confirmation of your booking and payment in full has been received, an automated response will be sent which confirms your sailing session. If you wish to cancel due to injury or sickness we require 48 hours’ notice, allowing us time to reschedule our coaching staff. A refund will be provided the 48-hour notice period is provided.
8-Week Block Courses, Adult Learn to Sail 4 Week Courses and Race Programs
We are dedicated to minimising any injuries to our sailors. We require helmets to be worn in the following courses: Opti level 1 Opti level 2, Green Fleet Optional, Open skiff development, Open Skiff race and Feva development.
Race sailors in registered in the following coaching sessions Opti Green Fleet, Open Skiff Development / Open Skiff Race and Laser will be assigned an Akarana Academy boat for the term. It is the sailors’ responsibility to:
- Ensure the boat is washed thoroughly after use to avoid corrosion
- Advise the coach if something on their boat is not working
- Checking bungs are in and rudders are tied on properly before leaving the beach
- Avoid contact at all times with other boats
Please Note: If there is any evidence of negligence or damage from avoidable contact the sailor/ parents will be responsible for the cost of repairs or replacement of parts.
Term 1 and Term 4 – we offer one scheduled Make-up Session for our sailors who are away sick, on a school camp or who have had something outside of their control impact their training programme. To apply for our Make-up Session, you must complete our online form which will be reviewed to determine acceptance. Please note that due to demand, we are unable to swap regular Academy training days during term. Our make-up date will be the last Sunday of term sailing unless otherwise notified. The make-up day is only available to sailors attending an 8-week block course.
There are no make-up sessions for Term 2 or Term 3.
School Holiday Programme Terms and Conditions
- Our Sail and Play programme is a combination of sailing and other on water activities. Each day we work with our coaches assessing weather conditions and the ability of the group before finalising our plan for the day. We cannot schedule in advance what activities will take place as we are weather dependent, but you can be assured that we will be on the water with our activities as much as we can during the day. Some of the activities could include Optimist sailing in pairs and solo, Quest Sailing with a coach including destination sailing, Feva sailing, kayaking, paddle boarding, rib adventures, island adventures and on the water games.
- Our program runs from 9am to 5pm. We will be open daily from 8.30am for early drop offs and suggest you send your child with a book, board game to play with others or even their device. Many parents elect to collect their sailors from 4.30, we can accommodate this and ask you to advise us each day of your preferred collection times to ensure your child is ashore and ready for you. Children must be collected by 5.30pm at the latest.