How the Flying 15s came to RAYC

Home/All News, Archives/How the Flying 15s came to RAYC

How the Flying 15s came to RAYC

print
In 1968 permission was given for the Duke of Edinburgh Cup to be re-allocated to Akarana’s other international class, the Flying Fifteen. Previously the Cup was awarded to the International 14 winner of the event, but dwindling numbers and the popularity of the Flying Fifteen promoted RAYC’s request.

The class started with plans drawn up by Uffa Fox in 1947 in Cowes, UK. One of the most well-known was Cowslip which was presented to the Duke of Edinburgh to celebrate his marriage to the then Princess Elizabeth. Uffa Fox often sailed with the Prince at Cowes.

The home for the class in Auckland has been RAYC since the late 1980s. One keen Flying Fifteen sailor at our Club is Bill Hursthouse. He was Fleet Captain for the class when they were racing out of Tamaki Yacht Club but had to launch in Okahu Bay. Bill suggested to RAYC that the fleet should join with sailors becoming members. This gave the fleet a permanent home and a place to store boats, even rigged. Bill’s days of sailing in the Flying Fifteen World Championship are long gone now as he reached his 100th birthday this year.

One of the Archives team has written a biography on Bill Hursthouse which will be one of several biographies available for members to see in our new Clubhouse.

If you have anything of interest for the Archives please contact Marian Harkness on 524-4968 or calimex@clear.net.nz.

By |September 2nd, 2015|Categories: All News, Archives|

About the Author:

Leave a Reply