After completing his boatbuilding apprenticeship in 1948 he became actively engaged in the marine industry, both in New Zealand and overseas. During the 1950’s, as a respected wooden boat builder his boatyard produced a wide variety of craft ranging from International 14’s, launches and keelboats, some of the better known of which are “Cotton Blossom 1V”, “Northerner” and” Ta’aroa”.
In 1956 Max and Harry Pope, both RAYC members, were appointed by our Club and the Government agency to be the first safety inspectors of all boats to be cleared for offshore sailing. This regime was implemented after an enquiry following the 1956 Auckland to Suva race and recognised the great skill and knowledge of these members.
Max was renowned for his practical industrial and commercial expertise having managed his own boatbuilding yard and in later years a rigging and metal spar making operation based at Birkenhead wharf (Marine Design). He was a Trustee of the Classic Yacht Charitable Trust and devoted a great deal of time in retirement to the Auckland Maritime Museum where his knowledge and sense of reality when restoring and conserving classic vessels has been well recognised.
Max is survived by his wife Val, son Bryan and daughters Jan, Lynne and families.
For further information please contact Marian Harkness on 09-431-6332. A biography on Max Carter is being compiled. Archives need more volunteers and would appreciate help with research on previous years.